1853    August, Capt. George McClellan passes through the Glenwood


1855-56  Joslyn home used by U.S. Government as base of supplies for 

     Yakima Indian Reservation.  Joslyns resided in Forest Grove during this 

    time.  Block house built.  They returned in 

    1859.  Camas Prairie part of the WS Reservation.  

1855  September, Agent Bolon killed in the Simcoe Mtn’s by Indians


1855  October, Major Haller is attacked and retreats to Klickitat Valley.

          Blockhouse is built.   Abandoned in 1860


1859  Willis Jenkins moves into the Blockhouse area with a large band of 

           horses and cattle.


1860    George Gilmer born


1861-62  Severe Winter.  Snow from November to end of March.     

          Livestock died. 


1866        Joslyn rented his farm to E.S. Tanner of Forest Grove.  Tanner’s

    plan was to make butter and cheese.  Brought cows.

1866    Tanner took his cows to White Salmon Falls


1866  Egbert French sells his land at mouth of Klickitat River to James O. 



1867    Tanner took his cows to Camas Prairie.  A favorite summer 

    playground of Reservation Indians.

    About half way down the valley, near the south side, at foot of the

    mountain was a wonderful spring.  Coldest purest water.  Tanner

    built a log cabin 16x24, a spring house and corrals.


    George Gilmer says the Tanner place was located near what is now

    known as Eastman place or Joe Devine Spring.  


1868        Albert J. Thompson arrived April, in Portland.  Went to work for 

      Tanner in May.  Stayed until July 1869  and later on the summers 

      1871 and 1873.


1868-1868 in summers Albert Thompson tended the stock and made 

    thousands of pounds of butter.

    Mrs. Tanner.  Two girls Emma and Alice.  Joe William 18 years old.  

    Albert Thompson 23 years old.  A The Dalles School boy with them 

     for some weeks in 1868.  Would have been a Moody.  His dad was

    governor of Oregon and he was congressman at Washington DC.

1868-1869 winter.  Spent in White Salmon.  Population 4.  Tanner child-

    dren went to Forest Grove for schooling.  Fed 175 head of cattle and

    30 head horses.  Fed 25 days total.  Coldest was 18º  above. 

    In March, Joslyn returned.  Tanner sold some of his cows to 

    William Cornell of Rockland who had driven cattle to Caribou.

1869    Spent early summer at Camas Prairie.  Left in July for Connecticut.


   Barker first man to bring wagon into Camas Prairie via Gilmer.  Wash took one in via Rattlesnake and Twin Mountain then angled south to Pannikanick then across Panikanick mountain to the Dymond place where he


    Barker sold out to Chapman.

1870  Fish Family came to Camas Prairie.  Their daughter died.



1870    Amos Underwood and William Gilmer come to Camas Prairie to

    race horses with Indians.  Indians gathered at the upper end of 

    the valley where Laurel is now.  Circular track. Indians came to

    dig Camas roots.  Gilmers had a horse named Democrat.


    George Fresby:  first man to settle in Camas Prairie on what is

    known as Holmes Place at Laurel.  Where road forks to go into

    post office.  Fine place.  Smooth and level with fine creek.  

    Twin Mountain was main route into valley.  Gilmer Valley way 

    was just Indian trail.  

    Man named Tanner had slashed out a road up Rattlesnake, to

    Twin Mountain.  His partner Joslyn made the butter into rolls 

    and marketed it.  

    Gilmer Valley called Yellup Valley after old Indian that lived there.


1870     Cut logs for house in Gilmer Valley

1871     Moved there in spring


1871    Five Irishmen, Pat Carney, Harry Green, Thomas McIntyre, John       Fitzpatrick and Peter Conboy, while on a hunting trip wander  into Camas Prairie.  The four single men staked out claims to 

    spend the winter.  Conboy returned to Portland.  

1871  Joe Devine and George Watson spend the winter in Camas Prairie.

1871  F.A. Bancroft in the Valley.


1871    Thompson returns to White Salmon.  Tanner moves to Atahnum


1871-1872 Winter cold.  River frozen.  

1872    Conboy returns in the spring, via Warners Landing, up the Rattlesnake to Gilmer Valley, then         Camas Prairie.  Spent night

     with Harry Greene in his cabin.  Greene’s place later became 

    the Duncan Ranch

1872-1873  Joseph Devine and George Watson, trappers, first white men

     to winter in Camas Prairie.  Devine used the cabin built by Tanner.

    Watson settled at Pannikinnick Prairie as did Bertschi Brothers.  


1872     William Gilmer settled Gilmer Prairie


1872    William and George Gilmer started from Husum with first wagon and 

    ox team.  Chopped road on the way.  Took five days.  No brush.  

    Indian kept the area burned out.


1872    Margaret Gilmer dies of pneumonia.  Kelly built a coffin.  He lived on

    Fern Ridge south of Gilmer and later moved to Camas Prairie.  



1872    Two Suksdorf brothers settle in White Salmon area.

1872  Peter Conboy says Kelly came to the area in 1872.  The Kelly Place became known as the Captain Mitchell Hay Ranch.  (Mitchell lived on the Agnes Miller place)



1873    Peter Conboy family arrived.  Pete and his father had spent the 

    summer before in the valley.  


1873    June, Conboy family moves to the valley.

1873  William Barker family


1874    Rest of the Suksdorf family arrives.  They had a dairy herd.  


1875    Peter Conboy dies June 7,  at age 38.  His wife Jane, buries him on 

    Bancroft homestead.  Now known as Chapman place.  He was later    

    later moved to Mt Adams Cemetery.

1875  Holmes operated a trading post.  

1875  Stump Family arrives

1875  Claus Staack arrives in the valley.

1876  William and Malinda Windle Frazier arrive in Camas Prairie.

1876  Anthony Cline family arrives


1877-1878  German families arrive.  Some settle west side of WS River be-

    tween Husum and Trout Lake.  Some at Fulda.  Joslyn sells his farm to the

    Suksdorf family from Iowa.  Large family.  Founders of Bingen and 

    had land at Fulda.  Old parents died after few years.  Sons Detlef, 

    William, Henry, Charles, Frederic, Theodore, Philip.

1877  Charlie Suksdorf family arrives in Laurel area.  They buy the Holmes property.  


1877    Fulda Post Office established.  Oct. 08.  Stephen S. Whitcomb first postmaster.  Seven locations.

1878   Troh family arrives.

1878  Jim Bryan  (Brian) an Irishman arrives.  

1879    Minnie Waters, sister of Mrs. Jewett, taught first school on Camas 

    Prairie.  She married William H. Henderson.


1879    J.O. Shaw came to Camas Prairie November 12.  From Redwood 

    City, California.  They were in dairy along with H.D. Cole who came

    with them.

1880  Restorff Family arrives


1880  Kuhnhausen Family arrives 


1881      Luella B. Shaw born on Camas Prairie  February.  She married John

    Wyers.  Their son was Tunis J.  born June 1901


    Stephen Whitcomb first postmaster.  Office called Fulda

    Leonard Stump and Jacob Kline, his wife’s father came from Sauvies 

    Island bringing lots of cows.  Stump built immense barn 200 feet 

    long of poles and split shakes.  

1881  Three Troh children die from diphtheria.  They were buried in their field.  Later 

         moved to Mt Adams cemetery  

1882   From Sacramento Daily Union:   Postal Changes for West Coast:

          William Frazier Postmaster Fulda, Klikitat county W.T.



1883    Simon P Kreps arrives in valley.  Builds cabin in autumn.


1884    Rest of the Simon Kreps family arrives in the spring.


1885    Glenwood Post Office established.  March 09.

    Telitha Shaw first postmistress.  






1889    George Gilmer marries Minnie Bussenshut.  Children John, Margaret, 

    and Pearl.  

1890    Glenwood Grange organized. Some sources say March and some say  May.  Charter Members:  H.M.             Trenner, first Master.  Mrs. H.M. Trenner, Mary Trenner, August Berg, Catherine Berg, Thomas                       Granville,   Richard Granville, E.A. Willard, T.J. Shaw, Mrs. T.J. Shaw Secretary, J.O. Shaw, Peter Hoult,             L.M. Shaw, C.C. Shaw.  

          Work also begins on Cemetery at this time.  

          October 1895 a piece of  H.M. Trenner land is surveyed for Grange building.  


1891  Conboy homestead claim filed.


1892    Noah Chapman dies

1893:    Margarethe Jebe first person buried in the Mt Adams Cemetery


1896     William Sweighoefer takes up homestead in Laurel.

1899  Oregonian visits H.D. Cole.  His home is the Fulda Post Office

1901    Camas Prairie and Vicinity Pioneer Association formed Jan. 01.  

    Held at Glenwood Hall.  Members who signed the roll:

    Joseph Silva, Mrs. Silva, Leonard Stump, Richard Kelly, Thomas             Quigley, Claus Staack,     Joseph Parrot, Peter Conboy, H.D. Cole, J.L.             Stump, Guy Chapman, Frank Frasier, R.B. Granville, Katherine Kelly,             M.A. Kreps, Mrs. John J. Wyers, John G. Wyers, K. Conboy, O.P.             Kreps, Mrs. C. Staack, Mrs. T.J. Shaw, G.W. Gilmer, H.F. Troh, Peter             Troh, Jessie Troh, Albert Bertschi, Robert Barker, Nettie E. Barker,             Della Cole Bertschi, Edward J. Kelly, J.O. Shaw, H.R. Murray, Della             Murray, Frank Murray, Gay Dymond, C.E. Murray, E.J. Murray, Mrs.             Jane Myers, Mrs. Mary Barker, S.S. Whitcomb, Mrs. Whitcomb,             Harry Wellenbrock, Lucinda Chapman, Kate Chapman, Herman             Bertschi, Mollie Bertschi, William Frasier, Mrs. Mollie Frasier, Chester             Dymond, B.C. Dymond, Lila Shaw, August Berg, Minerva Berg,             Emma Dymond.

1903  Trenner sells his farm to Leaton.


1912     George Gilmer sells his homestead to Tune Wyers and moves to 

    Glenwood until 1938.  His wife passed away in 1934. 


1912    Church moved from down by old Grange Hall up to town.  June 09. 


1912    Fulda Post Office discontinued July 31.


1933    Glenwood town Fire.  


1933    Glenwood town Fire.  


    Barker first man to bring wagon into Camas Prairie via Gilmer.  Wash took one in via Rattlesnake and Twin Mountain then angled south to Pannikanick then across Panikanick mountain to the Dymond place where he


    Barker sold out to Chapman.

George Gilmer says F. Bancroft had the Chapman place.  He sold out to Dan McCurcheion, who sold to the Barkers who then sold to Chapman.  



The Red notes are from the book, “The History of Klickitat County.”



The above dates and notes in blue were provided by some papers given to me by Jerry Ladiges.  Memories of George Gilmer.

The notes in this color come from the book "Along the Mount Adams Trail"  by Bill and Penny Collier.